Ginger Sweet Potato Soup
One week away from Thanksgiving I’m craving holiday goodies! It’s fall so I tend to make a lot of soup. I thought this spicy Thanksgiving inspired soup would make a great post. If you have the chills or sniffles this is truly the soup for you…So here it goes!
3 tbsp Minced Ginger
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1Tbsp olive oil
1 large sweet potato
1 can chickpeas (drained)
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp nutmeg
4 cups vegetable/chicken/low sodium broth
1 tsp Dijon mustard
Handful of thyme
*you need a blender/food processor*
1. Peel the skin of the ginger, sweet potato, garlic, and carrots.
2. In a food processor mince ginger.
3. Coarsely chop carrots and sweet potato into about 1 inch pieces.
4. Heat olive oil in the soup pan.
5. Sautée garlic, ginger, sweet potato, carrots, red pepper flakes, mustard, and nutmeg for 5 min.
6. Add broth and chickpeas to the pot and bring to a boil.
7. Once the soup comes to a boil lower the heat, cover, and continue cooking until potatoes and carrots are tender.
8. Using a large spoon carefully remove the chickpeas, carrots and sweet potatoes from the pot and place them in the blender/food processor (I add some of the chickpeas in to the blender leaving some out for adde texture). Add a cup or two of the soup broth and then puree until creamy. I did this twice to get all of the chunks puréed.
9. Pour the puréed chickpeas, carrots and sweet potatoes back into the broth stirring until everything is mixed.
10. Add thyme to the soup
11. Cover the soup and bring to a boil allowing the thyme to cook with the soup for a moment.
Once it starts to boil it is done! Enjoy.