Brunch time: Zucchini Fritters
Hey all! I’ve been playing with Pinterest this week and decided to try some recipes will I am on my winter break. This is a great Sunday brunch recipe that won’t set you back. If you like potato pancakes these are a great alternative. This is basically the original recipe from Pinterest word for word but I added a few suggestions based on my experience making the fritters! Overall, this recipe was really yummy and so easy to make I will definitely be making this again and again.
Zucchini Fritters by The Iron You (with my suggestions sprinkled in)
Makes about 12 fritters
2 medium zucchini
1/2 teaspoon fine grain sea salt, divided (original said 1 1/2 but I thought it was way too salty)
2 scallions, very thinly sliced
1 large egg
½ cup almond flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
Ground black pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C) and place a rack in the middle.
2. Trim ends of zucchini and grate them with a medium sized grater (or, if you have one, using the shredding blade of a food processor), so you get decent shreds of zucchini.
3. In a large colander, toss zucchini with 1/2 teaspoon of salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
4.Pick up small handfuls of grated zucchini and squeeze out as much liquid as you can (alternatively you can wrap zucchini in clean dishtowel or a piece of cheesecloth and wringing away, but using your hands yields best results).
5. Once squeezed, place zucchini in a large bowl and stir in scallions, egg, and some ground black pepper. In a separate dish stir together almond flour, baking powder and Parmesan (if using), then add to the zucchini and stir until combined.
6. Heat two tablespoons of olive oil in a large heavy frying pan over medium-high heat until shimmering. Drop spoonfuls of zucchini mixture onto the skillet (only a few at a time), press them flat with the help of a spatula and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes on each side.
7. Drain briefly on paper towels to soak up any excess grease, and immediately transfer to an oven proof dish and then into the hot oven until ready to eat.
8. Top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or some sour cream (or applesauce!) and sprinkle with finely chopped scallions, if you like.
One fritter yields 42 calories, 3.1 grams of fat, 2.2 grams of carbs and 2.1 grams of protein.