I have been eyeing the eggplant at the market for weeks now and decided its time to just pick some up. So today’s post and next week I’ll be posting recipes using eggplant. This recipe is realllyyyyyyy good and still guilt free. Instead of frying the eggplant like a tradition eggplant Parmesan recipe I roasted it. Also, I really cut back on the cheese. Give this easy and tasty recipe a try and let me know what you think!
4 cloves garlic
2 cans Italian diced tomatoes
1 medium eggplant
3/8 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 cup basil leaves
Salt and pepper
*Note* To prepare the eggplant soak it after slicing for about 30 minutes in salt water, this is suppose to make it less bitter.
1. Slice eggplant in 1/4 inch thick dials
2. Spray a baking sheet (or two) with cooking spray and place eggplant in a single layer
3. Add salt and pepper to top of eggplant and spray with cooking spray.
4. Roast eggplant at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes on each side.
5. While the eggplant is roasting prepare tomatoes sauce by quickly sautéing minced garlic gloves in olive oil in a pot.
6. Add diced tomatoes to the pot and add onion powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and pepper to taste.
7. Let tomato sauce simmer until eggplant has finished roasting.
8. Coarsely chop basil leaves
9. Once eggplant is finished roasting, using a casserole plan. Layer eggplant, basil, grated Parmesan, and tomato sauce repeatedly until the eggplant is gone.
10. Bake eggplant parmesan for 10 minutes at 350 degrees in the casserole dish.
READY TO SERVE!
This recipe serves 3 people (188 calories). I suggest preparing this alongside a salad, or black bean pasta.